All who have accomplished great things have had a great aim, have fixed their gaze on a goal which was high, one which sometimes seemed impossible....

August 17, 2008

Mojito's Anyone?

For years I have been wanting to grow herbs and spices but never got around to it. Last week I took a trip to Jaeger Greenhouses located less than a mile from my house. I was on the hunt for simple plants I could individually pot and keep until we did the landscaping next year. It's a little late in the season to be searching for plants but I knew I would get a deal if I waited this late and I found just what I was looking for.

Pink Candy Pops Mint.


It's a lighter, sweeter tasting mint. I potted it in one of our drink buckets from the wedding.


Mint can be used for so many things and comes in over a 100 different flavors. Sweet, Spicy, Citrus. You name it, mint comes in it. Even Chocolate Peppermint! Mint is also used in tons of drink and food recipes. One of the most popular being a Mojito!

Making a Mojito is simple. All you need is a few sprigs of Mint, Bacardi Light Rum (or rum of your choice) Lime Juice, Sugar, Club Soda and Ice.

In a glass add together the mint leaves, 4 heaping teaspoons of sugar (more or less depending on your taste. I like mine sweet) and 2 tablespoons fresh Lime Juice. Muddle together with a Muddler or spoon.

Add 1 shot of rum and ice. Smart people stir the rum, sugar, lime and mint mixture together before adding ice. I didn't do this but next time I will ;)

Fill to rim with club soda. Garnish with extra sprig of mint and lime wedge (not pictured) and enjoy!



There is a whole list of mint recipes I'd like to try. Mint Juleps, Peach & Mint Lemonade, Cucumber Mint Salad, Mint Granita etc...Stay tuned for more mint recipes!

No comments: